The Reality of Brain-Computer Interface.
The technology is leaping the all the boundaries of imagination day by day. If you look back ten years ago, you will notice that the science has evolved such technologies that you cannot even think about in that era. With the advancement in technology, brain-computer interface technology has also evolved, which is a collaboration between brain and computers or any other device, which enables signals from the brain to do the certain external activity. It could be anything from controlling the cursor to a prosthetic limb. The interface allows you to directly control things with the help of your mind through the help of direct pathway. Whatever be the object, it can be controlled directly by your brain.
I suppose you want to control cursor then a signal is transmitted from the brain to the mechanism, which then manages the cursor. Instead of taking the normal route from the neuromuscular system of the body to the finger on a mouse, the signal is transmitted to the mechanism.
Advantages of Brain-computer interface technology
- Brain-computer interface technology reduces the delay between deciding to move the mouse, moving it and then your cursor gets moved. Although the time taken for this mechanism is small it makes the difference in certain time-sensitive applications like in military uses, computer games etc. It must know what you are thinking before you do. The technology is capable of identifying the electrical neural patterns as a thought before the pattern has fully converted into a mindful feeling or a command.
- Brain-computer interface technology is something that can be greatly helping disabled people or paralyzed people. The technology has great potential to control things without using hands. It can be used by people whose hands are just occupied in some other work.
Disadvantages of Brain-computer interface technology
- The Research of the technology is still at the basic level. Some scientists and researchers even believe that BCI will remain at a fairly basic level if we consider the complexity of mind.
- At present, Brain-computer interface technology is literally imprecise in terms of classifying neural activity.
- Brain-computer interface technology has a limited ability to read brain signals hence only limited functions can be controlled.
- Reading inner thoughts of people comes with a huge amount of moral issues.
- A small surgery is required to place it under the skull.
A brain-computer interface (BCI), sometimes called a neural-control interface (NCI), mind-machine interface (MMI), direct neural interface (DNI), or brain-machine interface (BMI), is a direct communication pathway between an enhanced or wired brain and an external device. BCI differs from neuromodulation in that it allows for bidirectional information flow. BCIs are often directed at researching, mapping, assisting, augmenting, or repairing human cognitive or sensory-motor functions.
Research on BCIs began in the 1970s at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) under a grant from the National Science Foundation, followed by a contract from DARPA.The papers published after this research also mark the first appearance of the expression brain-computer interface in scientific literature.
The field of BCI research and development has since focused primarily on neuroprosthetics applications that aim at restoring damaged hearing, sight and movement. Thanks to the remarkable cortical plasticity of the brain, signals from implanted prostheses can, after adaptation, be handled by the brain like the natural sensor or effector channels. Following years of animal experimentation, the first neuroprosthetic devices implanted in humans appeared in the mid-1990s.